Friday, March 22, 2013

Rudyard Kipling

I'm fascinated by this man's love for India. Nearly all of his works take place in this setting, and it must have been intriguing for turn of the century western readers to experience this mysterious land.

     Early Life


Rudyard Kipling was born December 30, 1865 in Bombay. His father was an artist and architectual teacher while his mother was from an accomplished, well-to-do family. Kipling's early years in India were happy and exciting, but when he was five he was sent to England with his younger sister. This was the custom for British children living in India, but it was a very unhappy time for Kipling. He returned to India when he was sixteen and began writing for newspapers such as the Civil and Military Gazette and the Pioneer. This was his first taste of writing.

     Writing Career


Kipling's published works began with poetry. His first book of poems Departmental Ditties was published in 1886. Once he started publishing, he didn't seem to want to stop! Between the years of 1888-1904 he published a minimum of a book a year. His work began to spread out after this, but I consider his prolificy for that day astonishing. In 1907 Kipling was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature. He continued to write until his death in 1936.


     The Jungle Book


Unlike many of the other authors I've talked about, The Jungle Book wasn't Kipling's most famous work. As much of Kipling's writings take place in India, it makes sense that The Jungle Book and its sequel The Second Jungle Book (a riveting title, I know) would as well. It is said that the natural beauty of Kanha National Park inspired Kipling to write a story based in the wilds of India rather than the villages. I'm glad he did, for I was able to see India in a way only its animal inhabitants could.



Rudyard Kipling is our most prolific and acclaimed author so far. He was not a children's author as much as a man who wrote what he liked. What he liked turned out to be a collection of stories about a young boy named Mowgli who was raised by wolves. Seeing Kipling's character development, as well as his creation of a society, I am not suprised he won a Nobel Prize. Well done Mr. Kipling. Well done.





Sources

http://www.kipling.org.uk/kip_fra.htm
Bloom, Harold Rudyard Kipling. New York: Chelsea House Publishers, 1987

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how you go back to see what inspired the authors of the books you read. I never would have known half the details about all these people.I always thought that the Jungle Book was set in Africa, thank you for you're correction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I read this blog I didn't know who Rudyard Kipling was before. I had heard and seen the name but didn't know who the person was. I have the Jungle book but I have yet to read it and I had never looked at who the author was. I have seen an Animaniacs episode called 'Gunga Dot' where they were pretending their episode was written and narrated by Rudyard Kipling and that is the only place I had seen the name before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a lot of blog posts and I never heard of a topic like this. I love this topic you made about the tour and travels. Very ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, I really loved it. This is probably the best most concise step by step guide I've ever seen on how to build a successful blog.

    ReplyDelete